VietLEAD is a grassroots, Vietnamese community-based organization that focuses on intergenerational healing through leadership development, community engagement, culture & arts, and health promotion work. Our focus is participatory democracy, youth organizing, health and healing, and culture and arts programming with and by our community. Our vision is to integrate unique, sustainable programming that builds the skills, leadership, and collaboration needed to ensure that our community can thrive in Philadelphia and South Jersey.
The VietVOICE Project was developed as part of our belief that all community members living in Philadelphia have the right and ability to shape and inform our city. We use voter engagement as an initial step to engage our community members, citizens or not, young and old, to engage our political sphere through either voting or supporting others to vote to hold our public officials accountable to our community’s interests. The VietVOICE Project Assistant is part of a seasonal team designed to provide support to a dynamic and creative team that works to increase political power of the Vietnamese community, and the broader Asian American community in Philadelphia.
VietLEAD seeks a highly motivated, enthusiastic and responsible individual for our part- time VietVOICE (Viets Organizing to Increase Civic Engagement) Project Assistant position for our non-partisan summer “get out the vote” program. This position will be based out of our Philadelphia office and will begin immediately and end in November 2017.
Salary & Benefits:
Commensurate with experience.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
• Support in preparing logistical support for actions such as voter registration, door-knocking, canvassing, and phone-banking
• Support in implement “Get Out The Vote” Strategies over spring, summer and early fall
• Training new volunteers in phone banking, door knocking, and home visits for voter registration
• Maintain filing system for volunteer hours
• Organizing and maintaining database system for voter registration
• Outreach for volunteers and for other program-related needs
• Supporting Coordinator and team in organizing, planning, and carrying out programming
• Other programming-related support as needed
Education, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Excellent organization skills
• Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
• Bilingual in Vietnamese/English preferred
• Access to transportation preferred
• PC computer literacy, proficient in Word, Excel, and internet usage