VietLead is a grassroots, Vietnamese community-based organization that focuses on intergenerational healing through leadership development, community engagement, culture & arts, and health promotion work. Our focus is participatory democracy, youth organizing, health and healing, and culture and arts programming with and by our community. Our vision is to integrate unique, sustainable programming that builds the skills, leadership, and collaboration needed to ensure that our community can thrive in Philadelphia and South Jersey.
The VietVOICE Project was developed as part of our belief that all community members living in Philadelphia have the right and ability to shape and inform our city. We use voter engagement as an initial step to engage our community members, citizens or not, young and old, to engage our political sphere through either voting or supporting others to vote to hold our public officials accountable to our community’s interests. Philly VietVOICE Fellows are part of a seasonal team designed to provide support to a dynamic and creative team that works to increase political power of the Vietnamese community, and the broader Asian American community in Philadelphia.
VietLEAD seeks several highly motivated, enthusiastic and responsible individuals for our part- time Summer VOICE (Viets Organizing to Increase Civic Engagement) fellows position for our non-partisan summer “get out the vote” program. This position will be based out of our Philadelphia office and will begin in June 2017 and end in August 2017.
Salary & Benefits:
Stipended position and workstudy support
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
The Fellows support Program Staff in the following:
• Supporting team in preparing logistical support for actions such as voter registration, door-knocking, canvassing, and phone-banking
• Supporting team in Implement “Get Out The Vote” Strategies over summer
• Support in Outreach for volunteers and for other program-related needs
• Organizing and recruiting new volunteers through high school, college, and community outreach for phone banking, door knocking, and home visits for voter registration
• Maintain filing system for volunteer hours
• Supporting Staff in organizing, planning, and carrying out programming
• Other programming-related support as needed
Education, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Excellent organization skills
• Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
• Bilingual in Vietnamese/English preferred
• Access to transportation preferred
• PC computer literacy, proficient in Word, Excel, and internet usage