VietLead is a Vietnamese grassroots, community-based organization that focuses on intergenerational healing
through leadership development, community engagement, culture & arts, and health promotion work. Our
vision is to integrate unique, sustainable programming to build the skills, leadership, and cross-cultural
collaboration needed to ensure our community can thrive in Philadelphia and South Jersey. VietLead seeks
highly motivated, enthusiastic and responsible individuals for our part-time Summer Youth Project Assistant
position for our summer high school youth project: Resilient Roots Food Justice Summer Internship.
This position will be based out of our South Jersey office and community garden. They will work with our Food
Sovereignty Director, Youth Programs Coordinator, and summer program coordinators. The position will begin
in end of-April 2017 through mid-August 2017.
Salary & Benefits:
Salary: Paid/Work-study Position. 5-30 hours a week, hours will increase in July. Seasonal Position for May
2017 to August 2017
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
● Attending trainings on youth development, teaching, food justice, and community organizing
● Working with a team to recruit, interview, and hire interns
● Leading a rotation of 4 students through either cooking, gardening, or marketing
● Co-managing the Summer Internship activities for 12 students ages 14-17 with a team of 3 Leads
● Co-planning and implementing the Summer Internship curriculum for students;
● Organizing program logistics such as food and materials;
● Facilitating workshops and group discussions;
● Providing mentorship and support towards the development of high school Interns; and
● Co-coordinate end of internship community celebration event.
Education, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
1. Must have experience in working with immigrant, of-color and/or high needs communities;
2. Good organization skills;
3. Ability to be creative and multi-task in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment;
4. Good interpersonal abilities and communication skills;
5. Flexible work schedule (some evenings and weekends required);
6. Access to transportation preferred;
7. PC computer literacy, proficient in Word, Excel and Internet usage.
8. Have a strong desire to gain experience working with youth, and/or Southeast Asian immigrant
9. Be comfortable working in a multi-lingual, multi-racial, multi-gender expression environment.