VietLEAD is an emerging Vietnamese community-based organization that focuses on intergenerational healing through leadership development, community engagement, culture & arts, and health promotion work. Our focus is civic engagement, youth organizing, health and healing, and culture and arts programming with and by our community. Our vision is to integrate unique, sustainable programming that builds the skills, leadership, and collaboration needed to ensure that our community can thrive in Philadelphia and South Jersey.
In Summer 2017 the Youth Project Coordinator will develop and implement our Real Internships in Community Engagement project, which has paid internship programs for Philadelphia High School Youth, from approximately July 5th - August 12th, 2017. The RICE project will pair high school students with organizations throughout the city that are attempting to address social problems with new, innovative, impactful interventions. Students will be placed at worksites for 17 hours per week and each worksite is required to provide one supervisor who will check in with the student periodically during their 6 weeks with the worksite. The RICE Team at VietLEAD will provide ongoing support to students, pay for the students’ stipends, and provide weekly professional development sessions with students
Salary & Benefits:
Negotiable, depending on experience and qualifications.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
• Develop relationships with worksites throughout Philadelphia
• Recruit and train RICE summer team
• Recruit and interview eligible high school students
• Implement and monitor RICE summer project
• Develop and conduct skills building trainings for youth.
• Develop workshops, speakers and trainings for youth staff to help them learn about the issues facing youth in their communities and other communities.
• Recruit and engage volunteer committee members to support the project.
• Maintain records for grant reporting purposes and institutional memory.
• Perform administrative and related tasks such as developing youth job descriptions, conducting outreach, hiring youth, maintaining youth personnel files and timesheets, and carrying out correspondence.
Education, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
QUALIFICATIONS: Applicants must be committed to working for social change and have experience doing activist, community or grassroots organizing work (either professionally or as a volunteer). Applicants must also be familiar with issues facing communities of color and be committed to working with youth. Excellent communication skills, as well as supervision and organizing skills, are required. Flexibility and willingness to learn from your experience and from others is required. Bilingual ability in Vietnamese is preferred but not required. Must be willing to work some evenings and weekends.
• Must have experience in working with immigrant communities and/or high needs communities;
• Must have at least 1 year (preferably up to 3 years) of experience working with high school students;
• Ability to be creative, and multi-task in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment, Good organization skills;
• Good interpersonal abilities;
• Flexible work schedule (some nights and weekends required);
• Access to transportation preferred;
• PC computer literacy, proficient in Word, Excel and Internet usage.
• Have a strong desire to gain experience working with youth, and/or Southeast Asian immigrant communities.
• Be comfortable working in a multi-lingual, multi-racial, multi-gender expression environment.
• Will be required to have a criminal background, child abuse, and FBI fingerprint check.