VietLEAD is a grassroots, Vietnamese community-based organization that focuses on intergenerational healing through leadership development, community engagement, culture & arts, and health promotion work. Our focus is civic engagement, youth organizing, health and healing, and culture and arts programming with and by our community. Our vision is to integrate unique, sustainable programming that builds the skills, leadership, and collaboration needed to ensure that our community can thrive in Philadelphia and South Jersey.
VietLEAD seeks several highly motivated, enthusiastic and responsible individual for our part- time Summer SEEDS Summer Camp Coordinator. Our SEEDS Camp is a six-week, full day camp that works with 10-12 children ages 5-12 on academic success and a hands on food justice and gardening curriculum. The SEEDS Camp is part of an intergenerational program that includes our Resilient Roots Summer Internship (which focuses on high school leadership development in food sovereignty work) and our Resilient Roots Farm which is ran by our Vietnamese elder farmers.
This position will be based out of our South Jersey office May 2017 and end in August 2017 and will have the following responsibilities:
Salary & Benefits:
Salary: Seeking 1-2 positions. Paid Internship or Workstudy Position for May 2017 to August 2017
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
Responsibilities: Depending on which project you are assigned your responsibilities may include:
● Co-creating the curriculum for children from grades 1-5 for the period of six-weeks
● Interviewing families and outreach for children for the camp
● Administrative/Paperwork filing and tracking
● Managing Summer Camp activities for approximately ten students ages 5-12;
● Managing a team of high school students who will be supporting the camp (2-3)
● Organizing program logistics such as food and materials;
● Coordinating activities with the Resilient Roots Farm Internship team to do cross-cultural and intergenerational skills-building;
Education, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
1. Must have experience in working with immigrant communities and/or high needs communities;
2. Must have at least 1 year (preferably up to 3 years) of experience working with high school students;
3. Ability to be creative, and multi-task in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment, Good organization skills;
4. Good interpersonal abilities;
5. Flexible work schedule (some nights and weekends required);
6. Access to transportation preferred;
7. PC computer literacy, proficient in Word, Excel and Internet usage.
8. Have a strong desire to gain experience working with youth, and/or Southeast Asian immigrant communities.
9. Be comfortable working in a multi-lingual, multi-racial, multi-gender expression environment.
10. Will be required to have a criminal background, child abuse, and FBI fingerprint check.