Key Duties & Responsibilities:
• Prepare food in accordance with posted daily menu to ensure meals meet daily dietary requirements.
• Prepare meals and when necessary supervise kitchen staff assisting in preparation of meals, making sure meals are prepared on time, served attractively and in proper portion to comply with contract obligations, meet government standards and enhance residents’ enjoyment of the meals.
• Responsible for monitoring the food portion amount to meet all health and dietary standards as outlined in funding contracts and assist in keeping food cost with budgeted amounts.
• Ensure sufficient stock for meals is on hand and that all stock items are properly rotated, so that food is fresh and spoilage is kept to a minimum.
• Package food for delivery to other facilities in accordance with each facility’s needs, transport and deliver food in the manner prescribed and in a timely fashion. If needed
• Assist with cleaning of the kitchen and equipment in accordance with the state, city and county sanitation requirements, including, but not limited, to using mandatory cleaning methods and tools and the correct methods for cleaning appliances used in the storage and preparation of meals.
• May be responsible for cleaning kitchen and dining area floors including sweeping, mopping, polishing, etc and for washing walls, appliances, and performing other cleaning tasks as directed, in accordance with federal, state and local codes and requirements. Responsibilities also include ensuring compliance with safety requirements, including, but not limited to placement of the protective guards on the slice machine, appropriate storage of sharp objects, and prompt treatment of spills.
• Responsible for lifting and carrying heavy crates and other containers.
• Responsible for the collection of trash removal from service area.
• Supervise the receipt and verification of food supplies, unloading trucks and security of door in the area so that the facility is only charged for merchandise that is actually received and the food services are secure. Forward all invoices to Supervisor.
• Communicate any maintenance problems, equipment failures, inventory shortages, and resident or staff issues to senior staff promptly.
• Monitor all resident activity in kitchen and dining room, and take appropriate action to correct any breaches of dining room rules, so that corrective measures can be taken prior to a major problem occurring.
• Complete in service trainings to meet the requirements for continued personal and professional self-development.
• Comply with facility safety rules; take appropriate corrective actions to ensure work is performed in a safe manner and without injury to self or others.
• Communicate effectively with all levels of staff in a manner that promotes a team spirit and a sense of cooperation.
Education, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• High School Diploma or GED and one (1) year of cooking experience, preferably in an institutional setting or an acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience
• Must be able to attain Food Services Certification within six (6) months of employment.
• Will be subjected to frequent standing, walking, stair climbing, bending, lifting (max. 50 lbs.), gross and fine manual dexterity. Must be able to visually observe, understand and interpret resident behavior and possess a keen sense of smell.
• Must be able to work around extremely hot surfaces such as stoves, steam and steam tables as well as cold areas such as walk-in freezers or refrigerators.
• Participation in general staff meetings, department meetings and training as directed.
• Must be well organized, detail-oriented, tasks-driven and able to work independently and set daily priorities by maintaining a weekly as well as a monthly schedule.
• Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills and willingness to assist whenever needed.
• Criminal, Child Abuse and FBI clearance will be required.